If you haven’t seen the Dark Knight – I would recommend renting it.
The film does an amazing job at highlighting the different angles and choices behind real life ethical situations. When faced with a choice, do we lower our morals for the “greater good”? Or do we stay firm and possible bring harm to others?
Without giving away too much, the Joker (whom Heath Ledger portrayed beautifully – if I can use that word to describe the Joker…) is a complicated character who cares less about his safety and more about turning “good” into “bad”. He wants Batman to kill him – to turn from the morals that guide him and cross over to the darkness of evil.
Is that not what the evil one is doing to us every day? What path would we choose?[@more@]
About the same time that I saw the Dark Knight, I watched the Kingdom of Heaven with Orlando Bloom. Half way through the movie the main character had a choice to do something small, but unethical, that would give him wealth and power. Or he could refuse and remain ethical – but in doing so would cause a war between nations that would kill hundreds of innocent lives.
What do you do? Do you, as one of the characters said, do a “little evil for the sake of a greater good”?
The Dark Knight takes this theme and expands it beyond anything the Kingdom of Heaven could have imagined.
Rent it and watch it with an eye towards your own life – the situation may not be as “glamour” or as “brutal”, but the choices are there. Which path are you going to choose?
Just for the fun of it – here are some cool quotes from the flick to spice up your appetite
- "You've changed things… forever. There's no going back. See, to them, you're just a freak… like me!" –The Joker
- "Starting tonight, people will die. I'm a man of my word." –The Joker
- "Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger" –The Joker
- "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." –Harvey Dent
- "You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever." –The Joker
- “Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." –Alfred